Saturday, April 9, 2011

Memories

I thought about doing this last year, but I think it was simply too soon for me. After you lose someone that is so important to you, you're told that it will get easier and that time will make it better. At first, you think people are crazy. You're certain that nothing will ever make it easier, and in some aspects, you're right. There will never be a day when I will be ok with losing my Mama. There will never be a time when I won't experience a twinge of sadness when I see mothers and daughters together or when I see a Mother's Day card. The thing that time has brought me is perspective. For quite a few months after Mama died, every memory of her made me cry. It was a reminder of everything that I lost. Thinking of her was painful because it just reminded me that she wasn't here with me any longer. Sometimes I still cry. Sometimes I still feel alone. Sometimes I even think that I haven't made much progress at all, but even then, I'll think of something and I'll smile. I have finally reached the point where memories of her can make me laugh....and that's the best I can hope for. I wanted to write this post not to blather on and on about what I've been through but to honor Mama in a way that I think she deserved. I want to tell you things about her that I loved and the things that I appreciated.

1) Mama never put herself first. From the time I was little, I never remember a time when we were not caring for my grandparents. She wanted them to have company and to never feel lonely. After they became too ill to be alone, we practically moved in here. Mama was the main caretaker in the house and no matter how tired she got, she never let them see it. I watched her work through her own sicknesses. I watched her work through mine. I watched her make suppers and fix medicines and shuttle them back and forth to the doctors. I watched her do all this...not because she had to...but because she knew they needed her. I can remember when Grandaddy died, Mama told me that she didn't have any idea what she was going to do because she'd never had a time in her life where she didn't feel like she had to take care of them. After I found out that she had passed away, the first thing I thought of was them. She was finally with them again and none of them needed to be taken care of anymore.

2) Mama would have done anything in the world for me. All through school, she never missed an APT meeting or a school play. I always had homemade lunches and I was able to bring in snacks for our school parties. I never lacked anything that I needed and I never wanted for anything. She took an interest in my life which taught me that I was important to her. She also took an interest in my schoolwork which made me be a better student. Even throughout high school, she was aware of what my classes were and who my teachers were. I never felt unimportant no matter how much she had going on.

3) Mama always had time for me. Some of my best memories are of us singing some of her "homemade tunes" in the car. She had a knack for coming up with silly songs, one of which was "Puff not Spot" about a dog that thought he was a kitty cat. These songs were just for me and that's what made them special. I never doubted that I was...not for a second. Every night before bed, she'd sing and read to me. Many a night, I'd fall asleep to songs or stories of Miss Piggle Wiggle. Even now, I can sing those songs and though she's not here to sing them to me, I like to think she knows I still think about it.

4) A few things Mama loved:

Randy Travis--Mama always said she would never fly unless someone gave her an all expense paid trip to fly and meet Randy Travis.

Cello cherries--She liked them best straight out of the freezer. I find them revolting. I never did understand her affinity for them.

Duke--Duke died almost one week to the day after Mama did. I think he went to find her. I hope he's with her now. I think he is.

Thinking back, I know I am incredibly luck. For one, I had an absolutely amazing Mother for 26 years. For another, I had a chance to say everything I needed to say to her and I know she heard me. Not everyone gets that chance, and I'm thankful for it. I'll never forget the woman she was and everything she taught me. I know everything happens for a reason, and I can only hope that one day I'll understand. As it stands now, I'll never forget the woman she was and everything she's taught me. She loved me everyday and I'll love and remember her forever.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this. Thanks for sharing all those memories. I liked reading about the songs and stories she made up. She was definitely a very selfless and sweet person. That's why she is missed so much! She would always speak to my mom and me after church. Always smiling. After my Aunt Lib -who was more like my Grandma- passed away,I remember thinking, "If only I hadn't been as close to her this wouldn't be so hard." But immediately I corrected myself. The memories are worth the heartache they sometimes bring. I wouldn't trade our closeness for less sorrow. Your blog helped me realize that again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I missed reading this before today. I miss her so much! I remember how she was always the first to call to check on us or stop by when we were sick. I also remember the picture of Randy Travis that she had hanging on the wall of your old house. lol. She really was a saint for trying to referee all of those arguments we used to have (like why you wouldn't put on shoes to play pretend, or why you had to have a suicidal person or a hiijacker when we played airplane). I'm so thankful for her!

    ReplyDelete